How to create the web pages
The instructions below are specifically for Netscape Communicator version 4.04; details may
differ slightly for other versions.
- Install Netscape Gold or Netscape Communicator. The campus standard is Netscape
Communicator. This was installed on most computers during the network upgrade.
However, if you have an older computer (with limited RAM, processor speed, or disk
space) you may want to use Netscape 3.02 gold. This is available at the Netscape web
- Open Communicator and then open "Composer", the program for writing web pages
[Communicator, Page Composer].
- If you like to read the instructions, click on [Help, Contents], select "About Composer" from the menu on the left. Select "Using Composer". You may print this document by
clicking on the printer icon at the bottom of the screen.
- If you like learning by doing, start writing and clicking on buttons. Highlight text to make changes. Hold the cursor over the buttons to find out what each tool does. Click
on Help when you are stuck. And don't get frustrated, HTML is not the same as a word
processor and you have less control over formatting.
- For a very brief overview of using Composer:
- Type the text you want
- To change formatting, select the text and choose attributes from the toolbar. Use
Headings 1 to 6 to specify levels, avoid specifying font type or size. Bold, Italic,
and Underline are available. Additional formatting styles are listed in the menu at
- To create a link, select text, click on the link icon, and type in the URL (Universal Resource Locator, i.e. http://www.widener.edu) for the link. If you are making a link to a web page at another web site, it is easiest to copy and paste the URL from the location line in the browser. This type of link, which includes the entire address is called an absolute link. If you are making a local link to a file located on your computer, use the browse option after clicking on the link icon. This creates a relative links that only includes the file name.
- To insert an image, select the image icon in the toolbar and enter the address for
the image file. The image must be a gif or jpeg file to display in the browser. For more information, look at the help menu.
- To create a table; click on the table icon in the toolbar. For more information
look at the help menu.
- For more information see How to make HTML documents.
- Test the web page
This page is maintained by
Scott Van Bramer
Department of Chemistry
Chester, PA 19013
Please send any comments, corrections, or suggestions to
This page has been accessed
times since 5/30/97.
Last Updated 5/20/98