Unit Conversions Problem Set
This problem set was developed by S.E. Van Bramer for Chemistry 145 at Widener University.
Solve the following problems using a calculator and then check your solution with the computer by using Convert-it. You can find detailed tables of conversion factors in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics and on the World Wide Web.
- An atom is approximately 1 angstrom (Å) in diameter, express this in inches (in) and in micrometers (um).
- How many miles is a 10 kilometer running race?
- How many kilometers is a marathon (26.2 miles)?
- The temperature of Liquid Helium is 4 K, express this in degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit.
- The temperature of Liquid Nitrogen is 100 K, express this in degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit
- The temperature of dry ice is -56.5° Centigrade, express this in kelvins and degrees Fahrenheit
- Human body temperature is 98.6° Fahrenheit, express this in degrees Celsius and kelvins
- A nice size diamond is 3/4 carats. Express this in grams.
- What is 1 metric ton in grams, kg, and pounds?
- A gold Krugerrand is 1 troy oz, express this in grams
- The Exxon Valdez spilled about 1 billion gallons of oil, how many liters is this?
- Exxon always gave the size of the spill in barrels, how many barrels is this?
- When I make my secret chili recipe, I use about 3 tablespoons of Habanera pepper sauce. How many milliliters is this?
- A typical garbage dumpster is 8 cubic yards. Express this in liters.
- The unit often used for atomic spectroscopy is a megabarn (Mb), the cross section of an atom is about 1 Mb. How many cm2 is this?
- A typical farm is about 700 acres. How many square meters is this?
- How many square feet in 1 acre?
- The Yellowstone fire burned about 1 million acres. How many square miles is this?
- Delaware is roughly 50 miles long and 20 miles wide, compare this size to the Yellowstone fire.
- A typical car engine has about 150 horsepower. How many watts is this?
- A typical home air conditioner is rated at 2 Tons of refrigeration. How many watts is this?
- A large Hydrogen Bomb is rated at 1 megaton of TNT. How many joules is this?
- The shields on the starship Enterprise are rated at approximately 1 Terawatt. A watt is a Joule per second. If the blast from a hydrogen bomb lasted 1 second, would it destroy the Enterprise?
- The volume of a milk carton is 1/2 gallon. How many liters and milliliters is this?
- The volume of the milk used for school lunch is 1/2 pint. How many liters and milliliters is this?
- The distance to the moon is 238,855 miles. How many meters is this?
- The distance from your nose to your fingertips with your arm stretched out is about 1 yard. How many meters is this? How many cm? How many mm?
Please send comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Van Bramer
Department of Chemistry
Chester, PA 19013
© copyright 1996, S.E. Van Bramer
This page has been accessed
times since 1/5 /96 .
Last Updated: Monday, June 24, 1996 7:30:11 PM