Enthalpy and Thermochemistry Problem Set
This problem set was developed by S.E. Van Bramer for Chemistry 145 at Widener University.
In the video clip from George Gobel you saw that it is possible to light a charcoal grill in about a minute. If the grill is prepared using one 20 pound bag of charcoal (primarily carbon) and two 1 gallon buckets of liquid oxygen (the density of LOX (liquid oxygen) is 1142 kg/m3, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.)
- Write a balanced chemical equation describing this reaction.
- Determine the limiting reagent for this reaction.
- Calculate the mass of each product and any remaining reactant.
- Calculate the amount of heat released by this reaction.
- If this heat is used to warm a 500 gallon tank of water at 15 C, what is the final temperature?
- If this heat is used to warm 40 kg of ice at 200 K, what is the final temperature?
Please send comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Van Bramer
Department of Chemistry
Chester, PA 19013
© copyright 1996, S.E. Van Bramer
This page has been accessed
times since 1/5 /96 .
Last Updated: Saturday, May 18, 1996