Nomenclature of Simple Binary Compounds-Formulas to Names
This is a basic exercise in naming simple binary compounds. Since its effective use requires analysis
of text input there are some basic rules:
- This page does not contain any transition elements and,thus, Stock notation is not used.
- Spelling matters very much. No effort has been made to analyze input against possible spelling errors. There
is a button below which can be pushed to display the spelling of all polyatomic ions used on this page.
- Capitalization does not matter, the page can adjust for improper capitalization.
- All compounds on this page can be viewed as simple binary compounds.
- For those combinations for which prefixes are not needed,e.g. CaCl2, their use will result in an error.
1. Pressing "Display Spellings" will open a window containing the spellings used for the polyatomic ions
on this page. The user should refer to periodic tables or other sources for spelling of elements.
2. Pressing "New Compound" causes a small window to appear with a formula, an empty cell and a "Check Answer" button.
3. Enter the name of the compound in the cell.
4. Press "Check Answer."
5. Detailed results and score appear in the table on the top page.
6. If you get all or part of the name incorrect, you may go back and correct your answer and resubmit it.
These problems are provided courtesy of Prof. George Wiger (email@example.com) at California State University, Dominguez Hills.
Please direct any questions about this site to
Please send comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Van Bramer
Department of Chemistry
Chester, PA 19013
This page has been accessed
times since 9/1 /98 .
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 11:12:46 AM