Nomenclature of Simple Compounds-Formulas to Names
This is a basic exercise in naming simple compounds. Since its effective use requires analysis
of text input there are some basic rules:
- This page does not contain any transition elements and,thus, Stock notation is not used.
- Spelling matters very much. No effort has been made to analyze input against possible spelling errors, so double check before entering a name.
- Capitalization does not matter.
- For those combinations for which prefixes are not needed,e.g. CaCl2, their use will result in an error.
1.The user should refer to periodic tables or other sources for spelling of elements and ions.
2. Pressing "New Compound" will display a formula to the right of the table.
3. Enter the name of the compound in the answer cell and press "Check Answer."
4. Detailed results and score appear in the table on the top page.
5. If you get all or part of the name incorrect, you may go back and correct your answer and resubmit it.
- If you miss a problem three times, pressing "Show Answer" will display the complete solution and you will no longer be able submit an answer for that problem.