Lecture 17, Percent Composition
- Calculate the percent mass of each element for the given chemical formula:
- Determination of Formula:
- What is the emperical formula of a salt. 100.0000 grams of salt is analyzed and found to contain:
- >39.3374 grams of sodium
- 60.6626 grams of chloride
- What is the emperical formula of an alcohol. 69.8457 grams of AN alcohol is analyzed and found to contain:
- 41.9124 grams carbon
- 9.3234 grams hydrogen
- 18.6100 grams oxygen
- What is the molecular formula of the alcohol if:
- MW = 60.05 grams/mole
- MW = 120.10 grams/mole
- 1 asprin tablet contains 325 mg of acetylsalicylic acid (C9H8O4, see page 220 in textbook for structure).
- How many moles of asprin, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen are in a single tablet?
- How many atoms(molecules) of asprin, carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are in a single tablet?
- What is the percent composition of acetylsalicylic acid?
This page is maintained by
Scott Van Bramer
Department of Chemistry
Chester, PA 19013
Please send any comments, corrections, or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page has been accessed 3825 times since 1/5 /96 .
Last Updated 11/1/02